Feature #40907: mgr/dashboard: REST API improvements
mgr/restful: Deprecate the "restful" module in favor of the Ceph Dashboard REST API
The Ceph Dashboard REST API backend has gathered a significant amount of functionality compared to the original
restful module. We would like to phase out the restful module post-pacific, so it should be marked as "deprecated" now, pointing to the Ceph Dashboard REST API (to be renamed "Ceph REST API") as its replacement.
A comparison between the RESTful module endpoints and capabilities, and the ones provided by Ceph-Dashboard RESTful API:
|RESTful Resource||Dashboard API Resource||Description||Restful Capabilities||Dashboard API Capabilities|
||Ceph cluster configuration||READ||CRUD|
||Unsupported (see note below)||Pass-through endpoint|
- RBD management: incl. namespaces, snapshots, QoS, trash and mirroring.
- RGW management: incl. daemons, users, buckets, quotas, and some S3 advanced operations (MFA deletions, object locks, ...).
- CephFS management: incl. clients, quotas, snapshots, tree operations.
- NFS exports
- Orchestrator management
- Other Ceph-related features: Ceph cluster/audit logs, daemon monitoring/perf-counters.
- Access management: multi-user, RBAC, SAML2 SSO, security account policies.
- OpenAPI 3.0 specification.
/request endpoint: Dashboard doesn't intentionally support a pass-through endpoint as it's considered not RESTful by design (it essentially provides an HTTP gateway to the Ceph CLI). Instead, Ceph-Dashboard API provides a more comprehensive coverage of the Ceph command set by means of RESTful Resources, not requiring a regular access to the CLI.